Our Active School Flag
The Active School Flag was launched by the Department of Education in May 2009 and is organised through Mayo Education Centre. The purpose of the initiative is to recognise schools (primary, post primary and special schools) that strive to achieve a physically active and physically educated school community.
Help us to achieve the ASF
We hold the Active School Flag for three years. We have achieved our second Active Flag.
We are due to renew our flag in November 2018.
In order to achieve the flag, we must:
- Adhere to DES Guidelines regarding PE timetable provision for all students
- Teach a broad and balanced PE curriculum
- Inform and invite the whole school community to participate in the ASF process
- Self-evaluate current provision in terms of P.E, Physical Activity and Community Links
- Plan and Implement improvements for each of the aforementioned areas
- Organise an ‘Active School Week’ as part of the annual school calendar
- See http://www.activeschoolflag.ie/ for more information regarding the Active School Flag process
An Active School 2017/2018:
This year we have been very active.
All pupils have enjoyed P.E classes this year. It has been a very active year.
We took part in the Bord Bia, Food Dudes programme, Laya Healthcare – Super Troopers, Road Safety Cycling Classes for senior pupils, an orienteering workshop, basketball skills classes, gymnastics classes and we completed our swimming sessions in Portlaoise swimming pool. In May we will be completing Active School Week. During this week pupils will take part in orienteering activities, cycling sessions, céilí dancing/modern dancing and a range of games such as rounders, basketball and soccer. We also invite parents to join us on a ‘Walk About’ in Abbeyleix.
Meet the ASF Committee
The ASF Committee work very hard to encourage all pupils to be active and healthy in school. They have had some meetings with teachers, addressed their classes, come up with lots of great ideas and initiatives, and been a really important link between the teachers and students.